Monday, April 24, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: From Cinderella to Clades

For my first wikipedia I started with Cinderella. I chose this because for my reading this week I read the Brother's Grimm story Aschenputtel, which the Disney Movie is based off of. I wanted to learn more about the different variations on the story of Cinderella.

One take on Cinderella


My next article was about the Aarne–Thompson classification systems. This is a system that classifies different folktales. It gives each folktale a number to signify the central motif found within the story. I saw that the story of Cinderella was given the classification 510A, and I wanted to exactly what they meant so I clicked through to the article.

After that article I clicked over to an article about Phylogenetics. This deals with studying the evolutionary history and relationships of an organism. This method was used to study the folktales and group them together. I didn't know much about this concept, but I thought it was interesting that they used a biology concept to help sort through stories.

The last article I looked at dealt with clades. This is essentially a family tree, where you group together organisms that descended from the same ancestors. This is used in phylogenetics to help visually sort the organisms that they are studying. I didn't know what a clade was beforehand so I was interested to see how it related to this biology concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment