Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset

I hadn’t heard of the notion of growth mindset before this class assignment, so everything is new to me. I enjoyed the notion of getting a grade of “not yet” instead of a failing grade. Transitioning to college from high school was hard for me because I never really had to apply myself to get a good grade. So, coming to college and getting two failing grades in the same semester really through me for a loop. It was hard for me to recognize that my failing grade didn’t mean I was stupid, it just meant that I needed to approach school from a different angle and try again. As my dad always tells me “As long as you know you tried your best you can’t beat yourself up for getting a bad grade. Just try again next time”. As I have been here at OU taking different classes that require different things from me, I have started to develop my own way of doing my school work. I have figured out what methods work for me and what don’t work for me. However, I am still learning and still trying new ways to make my study habits and homework habits better. I have discovered that reading or working on homework for long periods of time is not the best method for me. Doing small chunks of one task and having a small break in between is better for me because it gives me time to recollect my thoughts. I’m not sure how much I will want to continue learning about growth mindset. I might do a few extra credit assignments just to learn more about what exactly it’s all about, but I don’t think it will be something that will keep my interest the rest of the semester. Maybe as I work through the extra credit assignments my interest in the concept of growth mindset will get bigger.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Morgan! I agree with you in getting a grade of "not yet" is much better than getting a failing grade. Like you said, it cultivates a mindset to be flexible and try out new ways to approach problems. I like what your dad said about doing your best and not being upset with the results, because that just makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morgan,
    I've already commented on your introduction, so I thought it'd be interesting to read your thoughts on growth mindset. I really like the quote of what your dad always tells you, as it's so true. Also, I agree that transitioning from high school to college was tough since getting an A, or a good grade, in high school was with ease. That's something I feel that definitely needs to change in high schools, the utilization of a growth mindset and working hard in school.
    I also agree that for me work is so much easier getting it done in smaller chunks with breaks in between. Although sometimes, I do find myself taking much more breaks than actually doing school work.

    ReplyDelete