Thursday, January 19, 2017

Storybook Favorites

I like to read fairy tales so I know a bit about the classic characters, but not much is said about their parents (they are usually dead by the start of the story), so that was a fun unique take. I really enjoyed this storybook because it focused more on the parents of the fairy tale characters. It helped to show how the characters were shaped by their parents to become the people in the stories that we know. Because of Ella's mother's kindness, Ella was able to have that same attitude which ultimately helped her to get her prince. With Belle's father, his love of books and unrelenting kindness shaped Belle to be the woman who fell in love with the beast and broke his curse. Rapunzel's story explains how she got stuck in the tower in the first place. Her parents decided to steal some plants from an evil enchantress’s garden. This resulted in having Rapunzel being taken away and help captive.
I thought this was such a fun story. I really love Greek mythology, so it was fun to see these characters put in the setting of a game show. It was also a fun way to learn more about Greek mythology. I knew some of the answers to the questions that were asked, but most of them I didn't really know how to answer them. It was a fun and simple read. The introduction did a good job of getting me interested in the stories to come.
This story caught my attention because of the title. I knew from the title that these stories would somehow twist the happily ever after trope and make the storybook characters to have a sad ending. I really enjoyed seeing how it wasn’t a different ending from the original fairy tale, but it was after the “happily ever after” where all the bad things started happening. The introduction to these stories was fun because it kind of was tongue-in-cheek and warned you not to continue reading, which of course made me want to read the stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment