Thursday, January 26, 2017

Week 2 Story Planning: Cupid and Psyche



For my story, I’m thinking of setting it in modern day Hollywood. Venus would be a well-established celebrity. Psyche would be a new girl on the scene who quickly steals Venus’ spotlight. Through the tabloids, Venus will find out that she is going to be replaced with the newer, prettier Psyche. To get revenge and to keep her title Venus sends her son Cupid to try and ruin Psyche image. I’m not sure how he will do this yet. I still need to figure out what exactly he could do to ruin Psyche reputation. After Cupid starts to do this though, he falls in love with Psyche and wants to be with her. Psyche at this point knows it is Cupid who she has been hanging out with, but she doesn’t know his motivations. Soon Cupid proposes to Psyche and Venus finds out that he hasn’t been pretending to like her this whole time. Venus also finds out that Psyche is pregnant with Cupid’s baby. Even with that news she becomes angry and tries to hurt Psyche. At first Cupid doesn’t stand up to his mother and he breaks off the engagement with Psyche. However, after a while he does talk to his mom, and he gets back with Psyche and goes through with the marriage. Soon after they get married Psyche has the baby which is a girl.

 Image result for cupid and psyche
Maybe is could write this as a series of tabloid articles. Each title would represent a new event that has happened in the story. Underneath that would be an article going into more detail about what happened. It would all be stylized after how magazines and tabloids write their articles. If that doesn’t work out then I would try to write it from Cupid’s perspective since he is kinda on both sides, and he is the one who changes his mind halfway through Venus’ plan.


Bibliography: Cupid and Psyche, written by Apuleius and translated English by Tony Kline. A fairy tale included in the novel The Golden Ass.

2 comments:

  1. I think this could be an amazing story. I definitely love the idea of writing it in the form of tabloid articles, although you may not get as personal as you would like for the story, so I suppose it depends on how you're wanting to write the story. I also like the idea of Cupid being sent to ruin Psyche, but then falling in love with her. Sometimes those are some of my favorite stories, the ones that it takes awhile for them to fall in love. There are billions of ways Cupid could try to sabotage Psyche's reputation (just look at today's headlines). I think looking at real life celebrities could be a good source of inspiration. All in all, it seems like a good story and I'm definitely going to have to check back in to read it once it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan, I really like this idea. I think the idea of writing it in different parts like a tabloid would be really creative and a neat take. I think Cupid, to ruin Psyche's image at first, should spread rumors about her; just an idea. You have a really great start, and I think the story could be really great. You have a very creative mind.

    ReplyDelete